Traditionally a number of umbrellas are kept in the entrance hall for use by customers. At the foot of the cashiers' counter runs a gutter designed for dripping umbrellas.
When the bank first opened umbrellas were still a rare sight. The diarist John Evelyn, a customer, recorded being shown a collection of curiosities in 1664 which included 'fans like those our ladies use, but much larger, and with long handles'.
The bank commissioned an umbrella to celebrate its third of a millennium.
Skip to site navigation